The Book of Chameleons - Dreams and False Realities

Hi everyone, this week I read “The Book of Chameleons”. I really enjoyed this book, it might be my favourite so far. I liked how the book consisted of very short chapters and the lighthearted beginning leading to a darker twist towards the end. As a kid I dreamed of having a talking animal sidekick so I had a lot of fun reading about Eulálio and Félix’s interactions... until Eulálio died.


In the video lecture, Professor Jon discusses how the title in Portuguese is “The Seller of Pasts” and how it had been deliberately changed by the translator into its English title. When it comes to music, I’m always impressed when an artist comes up with a title for a song that isn’t just a line plucked from the chorus but a different phrase that perfectly encapsulates the overall tone of a song. In the same way, I like the English title of this book since it is less direct. Only after you have read the book can you reflect on how the story is indeed overall about people who camouflage themselves to fit the current situation they are in.     


The theme of dreams stood out to me the most in this book. I was initially puzzled by the ending that Félix was so quick to think that Eulálio and all the events in the book could have just been a dream. But I can see how after having a very busy life involving Ângela and José, abruptly switching to a solo lifestyle would feel like waking up from a crazy dream. Félix also talks of how his memories are fading “like a figure made of sand” (179) which I imagine feels similar to how dreams drift away. The contrast between the false nature of reality and truthful quality to dreams was also interesting. José lives a fictional life after being given a new identity, yet in the chapters where Eulálio dreams about interacting with others and hearing their backstories, what we learn is real (or at least I thought it was).  The new identities created by Félix are completely fictional. But for the people who live it every day it becomes reality, such as how José started believing “José’s” life story in a pretty extreme case of fake it till you make it. Once this new identity becomes real it's like one's past life is a fuzzy dream - but the past is still a reality that José can never fully escape.


My question is: What do you think of the title change? Do you prefer one over the other?


Comments

  1. 'José started believing “José’s” life story in a pretty extreme case of fake it till you make it.'

    Except that I'm not sure he ever does... whatever he says, Pedro remains Pedro, and is simply waiting for his change for revenge on Barata dos Reis. (This is also what I was trying to get out in the lecture... the first half of the book does seem to be about the power of fakery, but in the second half it's all about what's behind the mask.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Arissa, I enjoyed reading the book too! I really like your reflection on how the past can never be escaped no matter what! Jose trying to escape his past by creating this new illusion can never change reality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the seller of the pasts, it almost just tells the whole story in the title.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Arissa! I also really enjoyed this book! I think the "Book of Chameleons" title is better in my opinion because I personally like books that make you think about the significance of the title where as "Seller of Pasts" would be so obvious to the story in a sense. I like that we have to think about the symbolism of the chameleon in the novel because the title causes us to!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts